Monday, June 6, 2011

Nightcrawler



Okay, so Thursday night before HeroesCon and I’m just having trouble drawing anything right, so I flip through my sketchbook and see a drawing of Nightcrawler I’d done at Bridgit’s suggestion a few weeks ago. I really didn’t feel satisfied with it. I remembered back to a sketch I’d done for a three-year old boy of Spider-Man where he was hanging upside down. It was kinda inspired by the cover of Sensational She-Hulk #3 where John Byrne had Spidey guest star and on the cover had him hanging upside down. My sketch went pretty well, using the technique of drawing the character right side up and turning it over for any finishing elements. The smoke is a huge problem, as I really prefer the look given to it in the films, but I think it’s just a little too wispy. However, when it’s drawn in the comics, it overpowers the panels at times.

So there we have a Nightcrawler that I can live with. Now, because Bridgit likes Nightcrawler so much, and I drew this on a sheet of letter-size Bristol, I’m giving the original art to her. I’ve got a hi-res scan that I’m gonna use to color it. I do that from time to time, giving drawings to friends.